Real Estate Purchase in Sofia
Real Estate for Sale in Sofia, Bulgaria
If you do not speak good Bulgarian then it will be very difficult to purchase real estate for sale in Sofia, Bulgaria without expert bi-lingual advice and assistance. A larger Sofia real estate agent will display the listings in English as well as Bulgarian but you are limiting yourself to the properties offered by that agency as it is not in their interests to offer other properties.
An independent agent real estate agent can search the Sofia Real Estate market for properties that meet your requirements without restrictions and converse with you in excellent English. In this page we will outline some of the most important aspects of buying a property in Sofia, Bulgaria.
A Sofia Real Estate Company That Stands Out From The Rest
While the major real estate Agencies in Sofia, Bulgaria have rigid guidelines, such as fixed commission rates and a requirement that all offers be submitted once a deposit (up to 5000 Euros) has been made, we approach each customer individually.
Along with home search and sale, we provide:
- Video conferences and viewings with clients from other countries
- Services for orientation upon arriving in Sofia.
- Hotel pickup included with home search accompaniment.
- Support with temporary housing.
- Support in setting up utilities and telecommunications services.
- Property administration.
- Guidance on local furniture and fixture purchases.
- Complete moving assistance.
Our Complementary Real Estate Partners in Sofia
To deliver the finest services possible, Sofia Property Broker has forged alliances with leading businesses in Sofia. These professionals have helped us by contributing their additional knowledge and experience to effectively conclude real estate deals in Bulgaria.
Our Professional Partners
The following are services in Sofia that we have agreed to work with are listed below. Please let us know if there is any other service you require.
- Mortgage providers
- Insurance agents
- Designers of kitchen and bedroom fixtures
- International movers
- Interpreters and translators
- Property finishers to complete your residence or investment.
Real Estate Agents in Sofia who Speak Excellent English
Thanks to real estate websites and applications, it is now simpler than ever to find properties for sale in Sofia, but there are still many facets of the Bulgarian real estate market that can cause serious difficulties for foreign investors.
The best method to navigate Bulgaria’s minefield of legal requirements and tax legislation is with the assistance of an estate agent who is committed to your needs rather than just managing inquiries from hundreds of potential customers.
There are many real estate firms in Sofia that “specialise” in the needs of foreign investors for property and have English-speaking staff, but despite the fact that they may all seem quite similar, the quality of services they provide can vary greatly and they frequently do not put you in touch with the right agent.
Also, although they claim to speak fluent English, this is often far from the truth. Often the facts get lost in the detail and mistakes are made which can cost 1000´s Euros to fix. Sofia Property Broker has native English speakers to call upon that will ensure that all questions and answers are clear and accurate.
New-build Developments Sofia, Bulgaria
Sofia Property Brokers offer a range of quality new development projects in Sofia which are ideal for investment or as your own home. Each new development that we have selected has been vetted by our team and are built be reputable developers and are in the best locations in Sofia.
Each of these new developments have strong investment potential for capital appreciation and rental returns.
We work closely with the development companies who will provide all the assistance needed to assist in the transaction.
Characteristics of New Build Developments in Sofia
here are so many positives of buying a new build property in Sofia:
The location of new home developments in Sofia is a key reason more people are considering purchasing a new build home in Sofia.
People are generally looking to live in the suburbs with:
- Excellent roads and public transport, particularly the Sofia Metro
- A garden, large balcony or roof terrace overlooking Vitosha mountain
- Preferably underground or covered to avoid having to clear snow or ice from the vehicle in the winter months
- Close to shopping, restaurants and fitness/leisure facilities
- Designed to be exactly as you want it as most new builds come unfinished in Sofia
- A warrantee so that all issues will be corrected in the first 5 years by the developer.
- Open plan and multi- functional space.
- Facilities in the development such as security, fitness, swimming pools or restaurants
- The latest technology such as underfloor heating and smart technology in terms of heating, lighting and music, all remotely controlled.
- Environmentally friendly built to exacting standards in terms of heating and ventilation.
- Easier to buy with restrictions in place and no waiting for the seller to sell first.
- Buying a new house will generally require less immediate maintenance.
- When you buy new, you are often buying into a ready-made community with friendly neighbours.
Finished or Unfinished Sofia Real Estate?
Practically all properties delivered, after granting of 16, by developers in Sofia come as unfinished. This means that they will need:
- Walls and ceilings plastered and decorated.
- Floors tiled or fitted with parquet flooring.
- Kitchens designed, built and installed.
- Bathrooms purchased and installed.
- Heating and hot water systems sourced and installed.
- Furniture selected, delivered and installed.
This will be practically impossible without help from a Bulgarian native speaker. The problem is made worse by the shortage of quality, trusted personnel to conduct the installation work.
We will introduce you to suppliers who will offer quality products at prices offered to Bulgarians and source the appropriate construction staff to install the equipment.
Please note that properties purchased from developers in Bulgaria are subject to 20% VAT.
If you are purchasing a property from an individual, the furniture in the house or apartment will generally be included in the sale but this must be negotiated with the seller.
Fully Finished Apartments in New Build Developments in Sofia
Now there are fully finished apartments in new build developments in Sofia. Traditionally in Bulgaria, new buildings have been delivered by the construction company “unfinished”. This means that the apartment will certainly not be ready for use and come in the following condition:
- Rough walls and ceilings
- Rough floors
- No bathroom fixtures and fittings
- No kitchen appliances or cupboards
- Maybe no interior doors
- No electrical lights or switches
- No heating or air conditioning
This means that the purchaser must find someone to complete this work before they can move into the apartment or house. This is a problem for all purchasers is, due to the amount of new residential construction in Sofia, finding a quality company or individual to perform this work.
This issue is compounded for international purchases, whether they are buying the property to live in or as an investment, is that they may not have the contacts to easily find a quality home finishing business in Sofia and will run into communication problems as few of the finishing businesses speak adequate English.
The team at Sofia Property Broker will act as the buffer between you and the finishing business in Sofia to ensure that you get what you want and at local rather than inflated ‘foreigner’ prices.
In addition you will need to purchase the tiles, appliances, bathroom fixtures and fittings, floors, doors and a multitude of smaller item. Sofia Property Broker will introduce you to quality suppliers that mostly speak English and interpretations when required.
Key Property Characteristics of Sofia Real Estate
These are some of the main things to consider when buying a property in Sofia.
Roadside parking is very difficult in Sofia so purchasing a property with the desired number of parking spaces is very important.
Covered parking is better as winter in Sofia is often harsh and you will avoid having to scrape snow or ice off your vehicle when you want to use it.
Balcony, Garden or Terrace
The Covid pandemic has highlighted the importance of access to fresh air and properties with access to large balconies, gardens and terraces are in high demand. In general, the older the property the less likely it will have a good balcony.
Floor Level of Apartment
Most properties in Sofia are located in apartment blocks and the higher the floor the higher the cost of the property as you will have better views and less people looking down on you.
Proximity to Public Transport
The continually expanding Sofia Metro system is excellent and makes travelling around the city much faster and convenient.
Where there is no Metro station nearby, there is likely to be a bus or tram stop which run frequently but still get caught up in the heavy Sofia traffic.
We will closely listen to your requirements and only show you properties in Sofia that meet your requirements.
Property Purchase Completion
Some property purchases will require a legal assistance while others will just require notarisation. Whatever is required, we have access to English speaking professionals including lawyers, surveyors and bankers who will be able to offer you the appropriate advise.